Little Witch - Supply List
- Yarn for Hair - 2 oz. (50 g.) skein of fingering weight or sock yarn in merino wool, silk, angora , tencel or soy silk. Handspuns work well for this doll. Novelty yarns will work well as long as they are not too bulky. Eyelash yarn gives a nice “fluffy” look. If you have a simple smooth yarn that is a bit plain, it can be dressed up with an Oliver Twist one-off, or other small skein of nubbly variegated specialty thread in a coordinating colorway. Yarns can be purchased at yarn shops, craft supply stores or ordered online from a variety of sources (search handspun yarn)
OR you may use: Wool Locks for Hair - 1 oz of dyed wool locks may be used for hair. You will need a needle felting needle to attach the locks.
- Fat 1/8 wool felt for hat
OR you may use: 1 oz of Wool Roving and wet felt a hat.
- Fat 1/8 muslin for head and hands (81/2” x 11”)
- Fat 1/4 yd batik fabric for body and sleeves (17” x 22”)
- Fat 1/4 yd sheer fabric for overskirt (17” x 22”) organza, silk chiffon, or tulle are all good choices.
- Matching Thread for machine sewing
- Poly-fil Stuffing
- 1 -2 yards 3/8” to 7/8” Wide organza or silk ribbon trim or wider organza ribbon or fabric to be cut down to size.
- Beads for decoration - seed beads or a mix of seed beads and some larger beads like the Miyuki Multi Mix, 18-20 grams
- Charms for decoration - you may add a charm you like to the witchʼs hat, her belt or use one as a necklace.
- Nymo bead thread for beading
- Beading needle
- 2 x 15mm Buttons for arm joints
- Black micron pigma pen (fine)
- Colored pencils - eye color and a pink or blush for lips and cheeks
- Fine line mechanical pencil
- White gel pen (jellyroll)
- Ecru hand quilting thread
- Regular sewing supplies - sewing machine, scissors, needles, pins.
- 3” or 5” doll making needles
- #7 long darning needle
- Stuffing tools (bamboo skewers and chopsticks work well!)
- 2 - 3” Piece of Bamboo skewer or 1/8th” dowel for neck support
- Turning tubes
- One knee high stocking for the doll weight
- 1 cup of sand for doll weight -- clean sandbox sand may be used if you have it. A small bag of aquarium sand can be purchased at pet shops.
- hand-dyed Scrim Over skirt: to make a hand-dyed scrim overskirt you will need two colors of Dye-Na-Flow paints or Adirondak Color Wash that will coordinate with your dress and hair colors
- a package of cheese cloth.
Your witch can hold a broom or a basket of potions.
For basket of potions you will need a small basket 2” to 4” diameter. Available at some crafting supply stores. To fill the basket you will want 3-4 small glass bottles.
For a witch holding a broom you will need a 12 - 18” long 1/4 “ diameter broomstick. This can be a stick gathered from outside, a chopstick, or a wooden dowel. You will also need 5 yards of bakers twine or hemp twine and broom corn or fine twigs. The broom corn may be trimmed from a household broom, or fine twigs may be collected from your garden.
If you want to make her a top hat, get the free add-on pattern here! (digital download only)