West Wind Wyrm Sewing Pattern
This pattern includes instructions and diagrams to make a pair of water dragons with fabric fins or fantasy organza wings. It has the original female West Wind Wyrm and an additional male dragon pattern with two different fin possibilities.
Choose a digital download or a printed paper pattern.
Completed dragons and in-progress dragon pictures are for reference only.
This is a fun pattern that can be completed by anyone with some basic machine sewing skills.
Supplies listed are for one dragon:
- 1/2 yard batik or other tightly woven fabric for body
- Contrast woven fabric for belly 24” x 4” -sequin fabric may be used, you must line sequin
- fabric with a 24” x 4” piece of muslin or other cotton woven fabric
- Armature wire for body - 18 gauge tie wire or copper wire- approximately 66”
- Armature wire for organza wings, 18 gauge or 20 gauge floral stem wire (8x 18” long pieces)
- Armature wire for fabric fins, 18 gauge or 20 gauge floral stem wire (12x 8”long pieces)
- Pipe cleaners for frills (2 for female dragon, 3 for male dragon)
- Synthetic Organza for wings and frills, 1 yard total fabric (may use 2 colours, 1/2 yd each)
- Organza for frills only fabric fin dragon, 1/4 yard total (If using 2 colours, 1/8th of each)
- Poly-fil stuffing
- Turning tubes and/or hemostats ( must be small tipped hemostats)
- Stuffing Sticks (Amy uses bamboo skewers and chopsticks, hemostats are helpful for stuffing)
- 5" long dollmaking needle
- 2x 12 mm hematite beads or other beads for eyes
- 2 Czech glass claw beads for teeth (or 6 sea urchin teeth)
- Shells or shell spikes for horns (optional)
- E-6000 or Goop glue (for glueing horns and teeth)
- Tea light candle and matches - for searing wing edges
- Pliers for wire cutting and bending (Chain nose pliers are good for this)
- Basic sewing supplies